“Can I apply for a disabled parking permit on my phone?” This is a question that a lot of busy people, who want to use their time efficiently and effectively, are asking. So, let’s find out! Can you use your smartphone to apply for handicap parking?
Can I Apply For A Disabled Parking Permit On My Phone?
Yes, you can use your smartphone to complete most of the process of applying for a disabled parking permit. All you’ll need to do is access your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website and use a telemedicine app such as Dr. Handicap.
Applying for handicap parking on a phone is one of the quickest and easiest ways to apply.
What Types Of Disabled Parking Permits Can I Apply For On My Phone?
You can use your smartphone to apply for any of the following types of disabled parking permits:
- Permanent disability parking placard
- Temporary disability parking placard
- Organizational disability parking placard
- Disabled parking license plates
- Disabled parking license plates for motorcycles
- Free parking sticker (only available in some states)
- Disabled Veterans license plate
How To Make A Phone Application For Disabled Parking
Disabled placard online application using a smartphone is a straightforward process. The first step is to use an online telemedicine clinic to have a video consultation with a local, state-licensed medical professional.
The medical professional will verify your suitability for disabled parking and then email you a medically certified copy of a disabled parking application form. You can then complete the application form electronically on your phone or download it and complete it in writing.
Once the application is complete, you can submit it to your local disabled parking authorities. Applications must usually be submitted in person or by mail, but a growing number of states are now allowing applicants to complete an online disabled parking permit application that can be submitted digitally.
What Qualifying Conditions Allow Me To Get A Disabled Parking Permit On My Phone?
To be successful in your smartphone application for a disabled parking permit, you must be temporarily or permanently disabled in one or more of the following ways:
- You cannot walk 200 feet without needing to stop to rest
- You cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive devices
- You have lung disease that restricts you to such an extent that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 MM/HG on room air at rest
- You have a heart condition which is classified in severity as Class III or Class IV, according to the standards set by the American Heart Association
- Your ability to walk is severely limited due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
- You use portable oxygen
- You are legally blind
Who Can Certify An Application For A Disabled Parking Permit On My Phone?
When applying for a disabled parking permit, you must get medical certification. You can have your medical consultation on your smartphone using a telemedicine clinic. In most states, any of the following types of medical professionals can certify your disabled parking permit application:
- Licensed physician
- Physician’s assistant
- Nurse practitioner
- Physical therapist
Is It Free To Apply For A Disabled Parking Permit On My Phone?
In most states, disabled parking placards are free. Disabled license plates usually cost the same as a regular vehicle registration plate.
How Long Do Disabled Parking Permits Stay Valid For?
In the majority of states, temporary disabled parking placards are valid for up to six months, permanent disabled parking placards are valid for between four and six years, and disability license plates are valid for one year. Once a permit expires, it must either be renewed or replaced.
Can I Renew Or Replace My Expired Disabled Parking Permit On My Phone?
Yes, you can renew or replace your disabled parking permit on your smartphone. In most states, however, temporary permits cannot be renewed – instead, a brand new temporary permit must be applied for with new medical certification. Permanent permits can be renewed in the vast majority of states, and this usually does not require new medical certification.
Featured image by niekverlaan on Pixabay