Today we’re here to tell you how to get a disabled parking permit in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We’ll also explain the qualifying conditions, types of permits available, and the Tulsa disabled parking rules and regulations.
What Types Of Tulsa Disability Permits Are Available?
Disabled parking permits in the city of Tulsa are issued by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.You can get the following different types of disabled parking permits in Tulsa:
- Temporary disabled parking placard
- Five-year disabled parking placard
- Disabled parking license plate
- Organizational disabled parking permit
- Disabled Veterans license plate
Is Disabled Parking Free In Tulsa?
Disabled parking placards are free in Tulsa. A disabled permit entitles its holder to park for free in designated disabled parking spaces in Tulsa. However, permit holders must pay to park in metered, on-street spaces. Payment can be made easily using the ParkMobile app.
Can I Apply For A Tulsa Disabled Parking Permit Online?
Currently, it’s not possible to apply for your Tulsa disabled permit online. You can submit your application by mail or in person.
How To Get A Disabled Parking Permit In Tulsa
Getting a handicap parking permit in Tulsa is a quick and easy process. The first step is to have a consultation with a state-licensed medical professional. This can be arranged at Disabled Parking.
Once your disability has been verified, the examining medical professional will sign the relevant section of an application form and email it to you. You should then complete the form and submit it to the Department of Public Safety. Applications should be mailed to:
Disability Parking Permits
P.O. Box 11415
Oklahoma City, OK 73136-0415
Applications can also be submitted in person at the Disability Parking Permit desk at Building 1, Department of Public Safety, 3600 Martin Luther King Avenue, Oklahoma City. If you submit your application in person it will be processed immediately, otherwise it will take approximately 20 business days.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For A Tulsa Disability Permit?
You will qualify for a disabled parking permit in Tulsa if you are disabled in one or more of the following ways:
- You cannot walk more than 200 feet without stopping to rest
- You cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive devices
- You are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that your forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 MM/HG on room air at rest
- You need to use portable oxygen
- You have a heart condition which is classified in severity as Class III or Class IV, according to the standards set by the American Heart Association
- You are severely limited in your ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition, or complications due to pregnancy
- You are legally blind
- You are missing one or more limbs, which impairs mobility
Who Can Verify An Application For A Disabled Permit In Tulsa?
An application for a disabled parking permit in Tulsa, Oklahoma can be certified by any of the following medical professionals:
- Physician assistant
- Advanced registered nurse practitioner
- Osteopathic physician
How Long Are Handicap Parking Permits Valid In Tulsa?
Temporary disabled parking permits are valid for up to six months. Five-year disabled parking permits (as the name suggests!) are valid for five years. You must have a new medical consultation every time you renew your five-year disability parking placard.
How Do You Renew A Handicap Parking Permit In Tulsa?
You renew your five-year disabled permit by submitting a new application form to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.
What are the Tulsa Handicap Parking Rules?
- Placards must be clearly displayed hung from the rearview mirror while a vehicle is parked and safely stowed while the vehicle is in motion.
- Permit holders may park for unlimited time in any designated disabled space.
- Permit holders may not park in any space that is signposted “No Parking” or reserved for emergency or commercial vehicles.
Where Can You Use A Tulsa Disabled Parking Permit?
Disabled parking permits issued by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety are valid in:
- All US states
- All US overseas territories
- New Zealand
Featured image by Daniel Santiago on Unsplash