Today we’re here to discuss disabled parking permit renewal and talk about the top reasons why you should renew your disabled driving permit in 2022.
What Types Of Disabled Parking Permits Are Available?
The most common types of disabled parking permits that are available in most states are:
- Permanent disabled parking placards and license plates
- Long-term disabled parking permits
- Temporary disabled parking placards
- Organizational disabled parking permits
- Disabled Veterans license plates
Do All Types Of Disabled Parking Permit Expire?
Yes, all types of disabled parking permits expire. Permanent, long-term, organizational, and disabled veterans permits can be renewed. Temporary permits cannot be renewed in most states. If you need to use a temporary permit after it expires, you will need to apply for a new one.
Why Is It Important To Renew Your Disabled Parking Permit?
It’s important to renew your disabled parking permit because without a valid, in-date parking permit, you cannot use disabled parking infrastructure. Using an expired disabled parking permit is illegal and can result in you being fined.
How Do I Renew My Disability Parking Permit?
So, what is the disabled driving permit renewal process? In most states, you renew your disabled parking permit by submitting a new application form to the local disabled parking authorities. This is usually your local Department of Motor vehicles office. You can submit your application by mail, fax, or in person in most states.
Some states require that you get a new medical certification when renewing your disabled parking permit. This can be by arranging a consultation with a medical professional.
Is It Possible To Renew Your Disabled Parking Permit Online?
You can renew your disabled parking permit online in some states, including Colorado and Connecticut.
How To Renew A Handicap Placard Online
In states that allow online applications to renew your disabled permit, you should visit the local disabled parking authorities’ website and follow the links to renew your permit.
What Medical Professionals Can Certify An Application For Renewal Of A Handicap Placard?
In states in which it’s necessary to get new medical certification when renewing your disabled parking permit, some or all of the following types of medical professionals can provide certification:
- Licensed Physician
- Physician Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
5 Reasons Why You Should Renew Your Disabled Driving Permit In 2022
- All types of disabled parking permits expire and must be renewed, including permanent permits.
- It’s illegal to use disabled parking infrastructure if you have an expired disabled parking permit.
- The process of renewing your disabled parking permit can take several weeks, so it’s best to get started early.
- Using an expired disabled parking permit can result in legal sanctions such as a fine.
- Not all states send an email notice to tell you when your disabled parking permit is due to expire, so it’s best to begin the renewal process in good time.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For A Disabled Parking Permit?
To renew your disabled parking permit in some states, you will need to have a consultation with a state-licensed medical professional to verify that you still have a disability that qualifies you to use disabled parking infrastructure. The qualifying conditions for disabled parking are:
- An inability to walk two hundred feet without needing to stop to rest
- An inability to walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or another assistant device
- Lung disease to the extent that your forced respiratory and expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at rest
- Portable oxygen tank usage
- A cardiac condition to the extent that your functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association
- A severely limited ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
- Having lost the use of an arm or both arms
- Legal blindness
Where Can I Use My Disabled Parking Permit?
Once you renew your disabled parking permit, you can use it in all US states, all US overseas territories, Canada, Mexico, UK, EU, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Switzerland.
Featured image by Jakub Pabis on Unsplash