Wondering what’s involved in renewing your Georgia disabled parking permit? We’ve got you covered. Read on for all you need to know.
Renewing A Disabled Parking Permit In Georgia
To make sure you get the most benefit from the Georgia handicap parking program, it’s important that you know when and how to go about renewing your permit. Renewing your Georgia disabled parking permit is a simple process and you can get it done in minimal time, with minimal effort.
What Types Of Disabled Parking Permits Are Available In Georgia?
Georgia offers several types of disabled parking permits. The available permits are:
- Temporary placard
- Permanent placard
- Permanent placard for businesses, institutions, and organizations
- Special Equipment Permanent placard – for people with permanent disabilities who drive a vehicle with hand controls or who have lost the use of both upper extremities
- Permanent license plate
- Disabled Veterans license plate
Do Different Georgia Permit Types Have Different Renewal Times?
Yes, different types of Georgia handicap permits have different renewal times.
- Permanent Georgia disabled permits and special equipment permanent placards are valid for four years.
- Temporary Georgia disabled permits are valid for 180 days.
When And How Often You Need To Renew Your Georgia Disabled Parking Permit?
You need to renew a permanent permit and a special equipment permanent placard every four years when it expires. You can renew a permanent permit as many times as you want. You cannot renew a temporary Georgia handicap permit – you’ll need to reapply for a new temporary placard if you still need one after 180 days.
How Do I Renew My Handicap Placard In Georgia?
So, what is the process for renewing a disabled permit in the state of Georgia?
Firstly, you need to collect or download an application form from the Georgia Department of Revenue. When renewing your permit, you need to complete sections A, B, and F of the form. You’ll then submit it, by mail or in person, to your local County Tag Office.
As mentioned, it’s not possible to renew a temporary permit, but you can apply for a new temporary permit. This will require new verification from a licensed medical professional.
Do I Need A Doctor To Verify My Handicap Parking Renewal Application In Georgia?
You do not need a doctor to verify your application for a renewed Georgia handicap permit. However, when you are applying for your first permanent permit or any temporary permit, you need a medical professional to verify your application.
The following medical professionals can verify your application in Georgia:
- Doctor of medicine or osteopathic medicine
How Much Is It To Renew Your Permit In GA?
It is free to renew a permanent or special equipment permanent placard disabled permit in Georgia. Renewing your disabled license plate costs $20.
Can You Renew Your Permit Online In GA?
So what options are available for Georgia disabled parking permit renewal? Can it be done online or does it need to be done in person?
Unfortunately, you cannot submit your application for a renewed Georgia handicap parking permit online. You must post it or submit it in person. However, you can download an application form online.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For Handicap Parking In Georgia?
A person will qualify for a Georgia handicap parking permit if they have:
- Severely impaired hearing
- A disability that will incapacitate them for more than 180 days
- An inability to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
- An inability to walk without the use of an assistive device such as a brace, a cane, a crutch, another person, a prosthetic device, or a wheelchair.
- Lung disease
- Portable oxygen tank
- A cardiac condition classified as Class III or Class IV according to the American Heart Association
- Impaired vision
- Limited mobility due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition, or complications due to pregnancy
Where Are Georgia Handicap Parking Permits Valid?
Georgia handicap parking permits are valid in all US states. They are also valid in the following foreign states:
- New Zealand
Are Out-Of-State Disabled Permits Valid In Georgia?
Disabled parking permits from all other US states are recognized in the state of Georgia.