Fortunately, there are more accommodations for disabled people these days, and this includes convenient parking. If you enjoy going out with family and friends or have a job that requires you to travel often, you may find handicap parking to be a huge relief. If you’re a New Jersey resident, here are a few things you need to know for obtaining a disabled parking permit so you can legally the parking spaces designed for you.

Your Eligibility

If you’re a New Jersey resident, you can get a parking permit from the state’s Motor Vehicle Commission. Once you receive your permit, you’ll be able to park in designated spaces if you have a temporary or permanent disability.

If you can’t use one or more of your limbs due to amputation, paralysis or other serious health issue, you can apply for a permit. You’ll also be issued a parking placard if you can’t work without the assistance of someone else, or if you need a walker, cane or wheelchair for mobility.

The state will also give you a permit if you have a heart condition that inhibits your mobility. In most cases, these conditions are classified as a Class 3 or Class 4 cardiac condition by the American Heart Association.

New Jersey will also give you a disabled parking permit if you have orthopedic issues that affect your ability to walk, you have nerve pain or damage or suffer from arthritis.

No matter what your condition, if you can’t walk more than 200 feet without taking a break, you’ll likely receive a parking permit.

Types of Disability Parking Permits

If you meet one or more of the qualifications, you can visit your nearest Motor Vehicle Commission location to apply for your permit. You can apply for a temporary or permanent placard. Permanent disability placards are blue and temporary placards are red. Remember that before you turn in your application, you’ll need certification from your doctor verifying your disability.

If you’ve recently sustained an injury or your recovering from surgery, you’re likely eligible for a temporary permit. You have to apply for the permit in person at your local police station, since the police chief issues temporary parking permits in the state. If you visit the Motor Vehicle Commission for a temporary placard, you’ll be directed to your local police station.

Simply fill out the Application for Temporary Placard, which is Form SP-68. You must include medical certification and pay a $4 fee to complete your application.

Your temporary disability placard is good for six months. If you think you’ll need the permit for longer, you can apply for an additional six months. However, your doctor will have to verify this and you’ll need to fill out an application again. You’ll also have to pay an additional $4. If you have to replace your permit, you should contact your local police chief.

If you have a long-term disability, you should apply for a permanent permit. This permit comes form the Motor Vehicle Commission instead of the local police chief. You can apply for a permanent parking permit by mail or in person.

Once you apply for a permanent parking permit, you’ll also get a disability ID card. It’s important to keep this ID card with you at all times. You’ll also have to submit the Application for Vehicle License Plates and/or Placard for Persons with a Disability, which is form SP-41. Don’t forget to include certification from your doctor. If you also want a disability license plate, you’ll have to give the MVC a copy of your vehicle registration.

Once your application is complete, you can take all your documents to the nearest MVC or send it by mail to:


Special Plate Unit

P.O. Box 015

Trenton, NJ 08666

If you apply for your permanent disability permit in person, you’ll receive the permit the same day. If you mail your application, the process can take up to 6 weeks.

Your permanent disability permit is valid for up to 3 years. After this period, you’ll have to renew your placards or plates, and you can do this free of charge. However, you will have to get re-certification from your doctor, fill out another application and take these materials to your local MVC office.

Disabled Veteran License Plates In New Jersey

You can receive placards and other benefits in the state of New Jersey if you have served in the Armed Forces. According to New Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 39:4-207.10) you are exempt from paying at a municipal parking meter for up to 24 hours if you have a Purple Heart or are a disabled veteran. However, there are some stipulations. The vehicle must owned by the Purple Heart recipient or disabled veteran, or the veteran must be a passenger in the vehicle. The vehicle also has to have a MVC-issued placard. Purple Heart and disabled veteran placards give veterans the same privileges as disabled license plates.

If you’re applying for a disabled veteran placard, you must be the owner of the vehicle where the placard will be displayed and you must certify that you will be driving the car or will be a passenger in the automobile.

Disabled veterans must submit a DD-214 or DD-215 along with a Award of Disability letter by the Veteran’s Administration. If you’re a Purple Heart recipient you’ll also have to give the MVC a DD-214 or DD-215 that confirms your Purple Heart status or a citation certifying that you have received a Purple Heart. You can also submit the General Order for the Purple Heart.

You can receive your placard at a local MVC or in the mail. If you want to get your placard in person, submit the necessary forms and a signed SP-47 form or by mail to:


Special Plates Unit

P. O. Box 015

Trenton, NJ 08666-015

Your placards have to be renewed every three years.

Whether you’re displaying permanent or temporary disability permits or disabled veteran placards, be sure the items are clearly displayed when your car is parked. Remember to take these permits down when you’re operating your vehicle.