Disability stickers allow their holders to use disabled parking infrastructure all across the US. These stickers are available to people with qualifying disabilities. They exist to give people with disabilities fair access to public and private buildings, locations, and amenities.
So, how do you apply for a handicap parking sticker? Can you get a disability sticker for a car online? Read on for everything you need to know.
Online Applications For Disability Stickers
An increasing number of US states are making it possible for people to apply for a disability sticker for their car entirely online. States such as Colorado and Connecticut allow applicants to apply for all types of disability parking permits by email or by completing an online submission form. This means applicants can go through the entire handicap sticker application process from the comfort of their own homes.
Unfortunately, most states do not yet allow fully online applications. In states such as New York, Florida, and Texas, you still need to submit your application by post. But even in these states, you can have your medical consultation online and download the application forms online – which means you only need to leave your house to mail the application!
Who Issues Disability Stickers For Cars?
In most states, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues disability stickers for cars. Not all states issue stickers – some only issue tags, placards, or license plates.
Some states do not have a DMV but instead have an equivalent department that goes under a different name (such as the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles and the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles).
What Types Of Handicap Permits Are Available?
The following types of handicap parking permits are available:
- Permanent disabled parking placards, stickers, or license plates
- Temporary disabled parking placards or stickers
- Disabled Veterans disabled parking license plates
- Organizational disabled parking permits (for organizations that transport disabled people)
How Do I Get A Handicap Sticker For My Car?
Making an application for a handicap sticker for your car is a quick and easy process. You first need to have a consultation with a state-licensed medical professional who will verify your disability. Then you need to complete an application and submit it to your local DMV, either in-person, by mail, or online.
How Can I Get A Disability Sticker For A Car Online?
In some states, you can apply for a handicap sticker online. So, how do I get a handicap parking pass online, exactly?
First, you will need to have a video consultation with a state-licensed medical professional. Online clinics such as Disabled Parking are a good place to arrange this.
Once your disability has been verified, the doctor will complete the necessary sections of a DMV disabled parking application form and email it to you. Application forms can be downloaded from the DMV website. You will then complete the application and submit it either through your local DMV website or by emailing it to the DMV.
Who Can Certify An Online Application For A Disability Sticker?
The following medical professionals can certify an online application for a disability sticker after having a video consultation:
- Physician’s assistant
- Advanced practice nurse
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For A Disability Sticker For A Car?
- An inability to walk 200 feet without needing to stop to rest
- An inability to walk without the use of or assistance from an assistance device, including a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, another person, or a prosthetic device
- Lung disease
- A cardiac condition classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to the American Heart Association
- A severely limited ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
- The use of portable oxygen
- A foot disorder that limits or impairs a person’s ability to walk
- Another debilitating condition that, in the opinion of a qualifying physician, limits or impairs a person’s ability to walk
- Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses
- Visual acuity of more than 20/200 but with a limited field of vision in which the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angle of 20 degrees or less
How Much Do Handicap Stickers Cost?
In most states, permanent handicap stickers are free. In some states there is a small charge, usually no more than $10, for a temporary handicap sticker.